RE: help

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg38310] RE: [mg38248] help
  • From: "David Park" <djmp at earthlink.net>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2002 01:32:03 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Anto,

This is the kind of question that is very difficult to answer because you
give very little information. Which procedure? What kind of problem? What do
you mean by "the whole procudure"? Nor is the subject title of the posting
very helpful for people searching the archives.

Many of the high level routines in Mathematica such as Solve, Integrate,
etc., are written in C-code and employ advanced algorithms that are probably
very difficult to follow and not at all educational or enlightening. So, you
can't see and probably don't want to see everything that is going on.

However, for purposes of learning methods you don't have to use all of
Mathematica's advanced routines. You can program Mathematica to do the steps
and see how some procedure you are trying to learn can be implemented. For
example, at my web site I have an introductory notebook that shows how to
solve equations without using the Solve routine, but doing it step by step.

On the other hand if you have a question about how some advanced routine
works, you will have to take it up with WRI and may not find them all that
forthcoming.

David Park
djmp at earthlink.net
http://home.earthlink.net/~djmp/

From: Anto [mailto:anto at nepostoji.com]
To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net

Please tell me if there's a way to make mathematica 4 show me the whole
procedure before spitting out the solution?
thanks,
Anto