Re: saving a notebook into LaTeX

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg38453] Re: saving a notebook into LaTeX
  • From: Nigel King <king at dircon.co.uk>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2002 02:20:46 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

In <at4ec9$f3t$1 at smc.vnet.net> Jason Miller  wrote:
> Hello Listers,
> I need some help, here.  I'm using Mathematica 4.2 on OS X and I'd
> like to save a notebook so that I can include it in a LaTeX file.
> According to the Wolfram site, Mathematica has a convenient "save as"
> option just for this sort of task.  Unfortunately, I can't get it to
> work for the life of me.  The notebook saves, but it won't compile.

I think this is an area where Wolfram over extended itself. I also tried
to use TeX in the way suggested but gave up because the solution is
incomplete. I even went to the trouble of adding my own extensions to
TeXSave. I found the the complete result was much too restrictive in how
one could use Mathematica or TeX.

Now I write in TeX (actually ConTeXt) and copy formula and results over
as necessary saving graphs as '.eps' and converting to '.pdf' etc.
ConTeXt has a facility for pretty printing Perl, Java, SQL, TeX and
MetaPost. I wonder whether an enterprising person will write one for
Mathematica Source.

> I use TeXShop, a very standard LaTeX environment for OS X that's
> built (I believe) on top of teTeX.  Per the 'request' of my LaTeX
> compiler, I've located copies of notebook2e.sty and wrisym.sty, but
> this doesn't help; the fatal error is something like '! LaTeX Error:
> This NFSS system isn't set up properly.'
>
> Does anybody out there have a slick solution to my problem?  It seems
> to me that Wolfram should have made this process work out-of-the-box
> with standard installations of Mathematica 4.2 and standard
> installation of LaTeX utilities.  Perhaps I'm missing something.

I agree. A facility should not be advertised without reservation if
reservations exist. In this facility there are many reservations.

> I hope somebody out there can give me a hand with this.  (FWIW, I
> have access to latex and Mathematics 4.2 on linux and NT platforms,
> too.)

My comments only apply to 4.0, but I do not believe much has been done
to improve the situation. I am sure Wolfram would have shouted if they
had!