RE: Problem with hypergeometric function

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg34818] RE: [mg34796] Problem with hypergeometric function
  • From: "DrBob" <majort at cox-internet.com>
  • Date: Sat, 8 Jun 2002 05:21:32 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

>>switch to arbitrary precision arithmetic in all those cases in which
they do not know for sure if the algorithm that is being used will give
reliable results in case of using machine size arithmetic

WHAT arbitrary-precision numbers would be used in place of the original
machine-precision numbers?  The process of converting an arbitrary
precision quantity to machine precision is well-defined; the reverse is
not.

For instance, it's easy to see that Pi is approximately
3.141592653589793` --- that's the closest 16-digit approximation to Pi,
and there's only ONE such number within the defined distance from Pi.

However, if you have a machine-number that displays as
9.86960440108936`, what arbitrary precision number would you replace it
with?  There are infinitely many algebraic numbers (for instance) within
10^-16 (for instance) of 9.86960440108936`.

Quick, now... which one do you choose?

Maybe you'd use:

Rationalize[9.86960440108936`, 10^-20]

404289898/40963131

Or... you might somehow notice:

NumberForm[N[Pi^2], 20]

9.86960440108936

Now... just because Pi^2 is an interesting choice, that's no reason in
itself not to choose a nice rational fraction instead, and there's no
way to discover the approximation Pi^2... but that's how I got
9.86960440108936` in the first place, so I knew it would work nicely.
But, if you knew where the number came from, you'd be using an arbitrary
precision version ALREADY.

For a problem like the one you describe below, you MAY not get the same
answer with two replacements for the same machine-precision number, even
though they're both very close.

Bobby