Re: Functionality and Reliability

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg34966] Re: [mg34958] Functionality and Reliability
  • From: Jack Goldberg <jackgold at umich.edu>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Jun 2002 00:23:59 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi All,

I am exploring the use of piecewise continuous functions in Mathematica.
I have been doing this for over two years (first, because I have other
things to do and second, because I am not a great programmer).  I can list
4 errors and many inconsistencies in the use of packages, built-in
functions and the like, WHEN using the less frequently used functions such
as DiscreteDelta, UnitStep (otheres as well) combined with operations such
as Sum, Limit and Integral.  I have posted most of these on this site and
only a few get responses from Mathematica experts - and my thanks to them!

I too believe that low priority errors and inconsistencies abound and are
often totally neglected.  When I recently posted the problem of

	Limit[f[x,y],x->0] returns f[0,y]

I received exactly two responses - both from users - none from Mathematica.
I have received no responses to incorrect summations when the arguments in
the summation are UnitStep functions.  I wonder if all of us with similar
experiences decided to post our results, how long a list this would be.

Since I read this site regularly and appreciate both Mathematica and the people
here who are so generous with their time and advice, I keep "hanging
around".

Once can only imagine the power and accuracy that Mathematica might attain if we
users were allowed (with editorial supervision) to help correct these
annoying errors.

Since there is no competition to speak of, I guess we just have to live
with what we have and make the best of it.

Jack