MathLink and List

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg33092] MathLink and List
  • From: Adam Lyon <lyon at mail.lns.cornell.edu>
  • Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2002 06:52:24 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi,

I have a question about lists and MathLink. Here's what I want to do:

I want to have a Mathematica list, but instead of the list holding its
data internally, it goes to a C function that I write in MathLink to get
a data element. The idea here is that I have some large data files that
I would like to bring into Mathematica, but they are too big to fit in
memory. The data is structured in such a way that I can get very
efficient access to it via C functions. So my dilemma is how can I make
Mathematica think this data is a list (so I can do things like ListPlot)
and yet allow me to control how it accesses the actual data. I've looked
for a long time on the web and newsgroups and have seen no examples of
this.

Any ideas? Much thanks!

Best regards,

Adam

Adam Lyon / Univ. of Rochester Group at CLEO
Wilson Synchrotron Lab (Cornell University, Ithaca, NY)