Re: Notebooks and CVS: how to automatically strip output?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg33098] Re: Notebooks and CVS: how to automatically strip output?
  • From: Tim Wichmann <wichmann at arboretum.itwm.uni-kl.de>
  • Date: Sun, 3 Mar 2002 06:30:17 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi,

Janus Wesenberg <jaw_remove at nospam.ifa.au.dk> writes:
> What I need is a way to perform this action automatically from a
> makefile: read a given notebook, strip the output (and cache) and write
> the result to a new notebook file (which I will then send to the CVS).
>
> Any ideas?

I have written a Perl script (called `rmnbcache') that strips all cache
data from a Mathemetica notebook (i.e., ImageCache, ImageRangeCache,
CellTagsIndex, NotebookOutline, etc.).  This reduces the file size and
prevents cvs from being confused by irrelevant differences in cache data.
Thus you can say something like this in your Makefile:

    strip: $(NOTEBOOKS)
        rmnbcache $(NOTEBOOKS)

We are using this Perl script for several years now in our group to commit
notebooks to our cvs repository.

Additionally we have a Perl script called `testnbcache' which is called by
cvs (using `commitinfo').  This script denies commiting of notebook files
which have not been stripped.

If someone is interested in these Perl scripts, please contact me.  I will
then send you the files by email.

Best regards,
  Tim

Tim Wichmann, wichmann at itwm.fhg.de
Fraunhofer Institute for Industrial Mathematics
D-67663 Kaiserslautern, Germany
Tel: +49(0)631/205-4475, Fax: ~-4139