Re: A question about summation indicies

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg33111] Re: [mg33095] A question about summation indicies
  • From: Tomas Garza <tgarza01 at prodigy.net.mx>
  • Date: Sun, 3 Mar 2002 06:30:39 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Yes, it does. x has not ben defined, so let's take a look at what's going on
using FullForm (BTW, try not use capital letters for your variables; they
are supposed to be reserved for Mathematica functions):

In[1]:=
FullForm[Sum[x[i], {i, 1, n}]]
Out[1]//FullForm=
Sum[x[i], List[i,1,n]]

Something similar happens for the Sum with j instead of i, and it is obvious
that List[i, 1, n] is not equal to List[j, 1, n], and this is why you don't
get a "True". However, if you have a previously defined x, for example

In[2]:=
x[i_] := 2^i

then

In[3]:=
Sum[x[i], {i, 1, n}] == Sum[x[j], {j, 1, n}]
Out[3]=
True

Tomas Garza
Mexico City