UNIX version vs Mac/Win/Linux version
- To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
- Subject: [mg33334] UNIX version vs Mac/Win/Linux version
- From: dejavue82 at yahoo.com (Jim Light)
- Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2002 01:40:12 -0500 (EST)
- Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com
Hello! I've heard people say that mathematica is much slower (in general) on a Unix machine (let's say an SGI Octane--I have one. :) than on a windows/linux or macintosh computer. Why is this so? This doesn't make sense, since the unix version is much more expensive! Does it have to do with the fact that Wolfram doesn't optimize for risc systems? Please enlighten me! :-D Regards.