Re: UNIX version vs Mac/Win/Linux version

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg33382] Re: UNIX version vs Mac/Win/Linux version
  • From: Jens-Peer Kuska <kuska at informatik.uni-leipzig.de>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2002 23:38:55 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi,

> I've heard people say that mathematica is much slower (in general) on
> a Unix machine (let's say an SGI Octane--I have one. :) than on a
> windows/linux or macintosh computer. Why is this so?

Because your Octane (I have one) should be much slower than
a actual PC -- say an Athlon XP 2000 + (I have one)

Mathemtica does not upgrade you hardware.

> This doesn't make
> sense, since the unix version is much more expensive!

You usual buy a two-process license, i. e., two Mathematica's
in the PC sense

> Does it have to
> do with the fact that Wolfram doesn't optimize for risc systems?

It is optimized for RISC systems ! but you can't expect that a 900 MHz
machine (say Sun Blade) is faster than a 2.2 GHz Intel processor.

Regards
  Jens