How to pass an input to the child MathKernel?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg33463] How to pass an input to the child MathKernel?
  • From: Vladimir Bondarenko <vvb at mail.strace.net>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2002 04:06:40 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Gentlemen,

What is the simplest way to implement the step # 2 ?

   1. From within a working MathKernel, run a new instance of the MathKernel
      using the same machine
>  2. Pass an input to the child MathKernel
   3. Evaluate the passed input within the child MathKernel
   4. Return the evaluated input into the parent MathKernel
   5. Close the child MathKernel

Vladimir Bondarenko

P.S.

If I try something like

>  ReadList["!MathKernel", 2 + 1, RecordLists -> True]

   ReadList::"readf": " 3 is not a valid format specification."

   ReadList["!MathKernel", 3, RecordLists -> True]

then I probably use the parent (old) instance of the MathKernel.

If I use

>  ReadList[Run["MathKernel.exe"], 2 + 1, RecordLists -> True]

   General::"stream": " 0 is not a string, InputStream[ ], or OutputStream[ ]."

   ReadList[0, 3, RecordLists -> True]

then I do run the child MathKernel, but it looks like that the computation
was done, again, by the parent MathKernel  8-(