Re: Running Math Kernel Alone in OS X

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg33524] Re: Running Math Kernel Alone in OS X
  • From: dseaman at seaman.cc.purdue.edu (Dave Seaman)
  • Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2002 03:44:59 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

In article <a7jtvn$fto$1 at smc.vnet.net>,
Hans Havermann <hahaj at rogers.com> wrote:
>I'm trying to do a memory-sensitive calculation using Mathematica
>4.1.5 on Mac OS 10.1.3. It appears that in OS X the Math Kernel is
>hidden from view. So, is it possible to do the calculation in the
>Kernel *without* also running the front end?

Open a Terminal window and create a Shell script to invoke the kernel
directly.  Mine is called "math" and it looks like this:

	#!/bin/sh
	unset DISPLAY
	/Applications/Mathematica\ 4.1.app/Contents/MacOS/MathKernel "$@"

Your pathname may vary.  I include the "unset DISPLAY" because
Mathematica attempts to use Motif graphics if there is a DISPLAY set,
but this doesn't work (I have XDarwin installed and running).  Without
the DISPLAY, the kernel correctly uses Terminal graphics.

I don't know whether you are Unix-aware, so I'll add that once you have
created the script, you should make it executable (chmod a+x math) and
place it in your local "bin" directory (or put it in /usr/local/bin, if
you know about "sudo").  Then do a "rehash" so the shell will be able to
find the new command.  After that, type "math" and you should see
something like:

Mathematica 4.1 for Mac OS X
Copyright 1988-2001 Wolfram Research, Inc.
 -- Terminal graphics initialized --

In[1]:=

Dave Seaman			dseaman at purdue.edu
Amnesty International says Mumia Abu-Jamal decision falls short of justice.
<http://www.amnestyusa.org/news/2001/usa12192001.html>