Re: How to put parameter list in or near a graph?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg34262] Re: How to put parameter list in or near a graph?
  • From: aes <siegman at stanford.edu>
  • Date: Sun, 12 May 2002 03:26:24 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

In article <abijlr$ldo$1 at smc.vnet.net>, BobHanlon at aol.com wrote:

> >Very often I make a plot which shows the essence of my results but then,
> >to present it, I print the plot and then I have to hand write all the
> parameters
> >onto the plot area.  Surely there is a way to overlay onto the plot things
> >like
> >"a = 1.2, b= 2.0,....." and save me all that trouble (and the chance of
> >making errors).

Solutions to this already given by several of this group's resident experts are
all good, but I'd just add:

1) Can always build a Print[ ] statement into the same cell or Module as the
Plot statement, though this doesn't guarantee that the Print and Plot outputs
will be on the same page if you print the whole notebook.

2)  Very handy to realize that you can get line breaks using "\n", e.g. the
string

      "Somestuff\nMore stuff"

will print on two lines even in a FrameLabel, PlotLabel, TableHeadings, or Text
situation.

3)  Another way to attach a lot of text data to a plot, without worrying about
having the text mess up the plot itself is

      g1 = <Plot or Graphic with nothing but a lot of text in it>

      g2 = <The Plot you want to be clean and uncluttered>

      Show[GraphicArray[{{g1},{g2}}]

Doing it this way puts the g1 text plot over the g2 data plot and doesn't shrink
its transverse side.