new user question about creating a new cell

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg34640] new user question about creating a new cell
  • From: "rad0" <rad0 at mindspring.com>
  • Date: Thu, 30 May 2002 02:55:34 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hello,

Just reading thru the getting started book, and in the 'Notebooks and Cells'
section,
page 16, it says to move the pointer until it becomes a horizontal I beam,
click, and
a cell insertion bar will appear.

This doesn't happen on my machine.  It turns into a horizontal I beam, but
nothing
happens when I click.

The only way I can create a new cell is to just begin typing.  This creates
a cell of the
input style.  Then you can select the cell and turn it into anything you
want, but it doesn't
seem to work the way the book describes, via clicking.

So, ---do I have someting set somewhere to keep the horizontal I beam from
creating
a new cell, or what?

Thanks