Re: How much graphics RAM?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg37063] Re: How much graphics RAM?
  • From: Jens-Peer Kuska <kuska at informatik.uni-leipzig.de>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2002 05:26:27 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi,

DrBob wrote:

> My OPINION is that extra graphics RAM is useful primarily for 3D games

Or complex 3d scientific visualizations ? Textures ?

Try to render the skull from a 256^3 CT scan or the output of a 3d
plasma
simulation and you will know *what* can be done with extra 3d RAM

> (which are themselves completely useless).

The major effect is, that 3d Games make 3d graphics hardware less
expensive.
Five years ago a SGI cost 20-30 000 $ and today you can have more 3d
power
for 400 $

Regards
  Jens