Re: trouble with pattern matching & manipulating

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg37040] Re: trouble with pattern matching & manipulating
  • From: "Allan Hayes" <hay at haystack.demon.co.uk>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2002 05:24:24 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Troy,
True, interactive manipulation can be difficult.
However, here is one way to do what you want.
We have to do the same thing to both sides of the equation.

    (# - D*Sqrt[K]/C)&/@(A+B/C+D*Sqrt[K]/C\[Equal]0

        A + B/C == -((D*Sqrt[K])/C)

    Together/@%

        (B + A*C)/C == -((D*Sqrt[K])/C)

    #C&/@%

        B + A*C == (-D)*Sqrt[K]

    #^2&/@%

        (B + A*C)^2 == D^2*K

NOTES.
Here is how  #C&/@ (lhs ==rhs) works:

#C&/@ (lhs ==rhs)  --> #C&[lhs]==#C&[rhs] --> lhs C == rhs C --> ...

 f/@( expr)  is special for for Map[f, expr]

expr& is special for Function[expr]

Please look up Map and Function in the Help Browser.
--
Allan

Allan Hayes
Mathematica Training and Consulting