ODE systems

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg40521] ODE systems
  • From: Kyriakos Chourdakis <tuxedomoon at yahoo.com>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2003 01:32:21 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Dear All,

I have a few questions related to ODE systems:

1. Is there a special way for Mathematica to handle large
(e.g. 10000x10000) sparse matrices? Something similar
to the sparse-type commands of other systems perhaps.

2. Having an ODE system of the form x'=A.x can Mathematica be
forced to use the Krylov-type approximations to
compute the Matrix exponential? If anyone has had any
experience with this approach, I would welcome your
comments on the speed/accuracy. I know the ExpoKit
package for another system and Fortran, but I have not seen
anything similar for Mathematica yet.

3. And finally a question that must be silly: does the
Krylov subspace approximation solve complex valued
ODEs as well, or it restricted to a real valued matrix
A?

Best,

K.

Yahoo! Plus