Re: split a list

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg40669] Re: split a list
  • From: Bill Rowe <listuser at earthlink.net>
  • Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2003 03:13:39 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
>>[mailto:listuser at earthlink.net] Sent: Friday, April 11, 2003 8:06 AM
>>To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net Subject: [mg40669] [mg40639] Re: split a list

>>Yes, my enviroment is different (MacOS X, 1024MB Ram, 800 MHz G4,
>>Mathematica 4.2.1). With a different environment it isn't surprising
>>the actual times are different. But I would have thought the time
>>rankings would be the same given the same version of Mathematica. It
>>seems interesting this doesn't seem to be the case. Clearly a case of
>>user beware.

>this is not a surprising phenomenon. As the total computation time is
>not the result of a single hardware parameter (say CPU clock), but
>involves quite a row: instruction set, CPU architecture, management of
>the instruction pipeline, caching hierachy, strategy and cache access
>times and finally core memory access. (You may possibly change some
>paramters with BIOS set-up.) Also, quite often, machine code is
>optimized in different ways for different machine architectures.

You make very good points. So, it would seem the only conclusions that can be drawn from timing tests done in a different environment are

code that runs significantly faster is likely to be faster on a different environment with the same version of Mathematica

If there is only a small difference (10-20%) there is likely to be only a small difference in a different environment and there is no guarantee the code that is faster will continue to be faster.