RE: Re: split a list

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg40643] RE: [mg40639] Re: split a list
  • From: "Wolf, Hartmut" <Hartmut.Wolf at t-systems.com>
  • Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2003 03:08:09 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
>Sent: Friday, April 11, 2003 8:06 AM
>To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
>Subject: [mg40643] [mg40639] Re: split a list
>

>On 4/10/03 at 3:44 AM, majort at cox-internet.com (Dr Bob) wrote:
>
>>Your solution (the same as Jens-Peer Kuska's) IS simpler and clearer
>>(though clarity is in the eye of the beholder!)
>
>Agreed
>
>>-- but my timing comparisons disagree with yours.  Perhaps my
>>environment is different (WinXP, 1024MB Ram, 2.2 GHz P4, Mathematica
>>4.2.1).
>
>Yes, my enviroment is different (MacOS X, 1024MB Ram, 800 MHz
>G4, Mathematica 4.2.1). With a different environment it isn't
>surprising the actual times are different. But I would have
>thought the time rankings would be the same given the same
>version of Mathematica. It seems interesting this doesn't seem
>to be the case. Clearly a case of user beware.
>
>In any case, the timing differences between the two methods is
>quite small and unlikely to be noticed except for extreme cases.

Bill,

this is not a surprising phenomenon. As the total computation time is not
the result of a single hardware parameter (say CPU clock), but involves
quite a row: instruction set, CPU architecture, management of the
instruction pipeline, caching hierachy, strategy and cache access times and
finally core memory access. (You may possibly change some paramters with
BIOS set-up.) Also, quite often, machine code is optimized in different ways
for different machine architectures.

This is why for comparing machines, normally a whole suite of benchmarks is
used.

--
Hartmut Wolf