Re: Newbie Question: Solving for x?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg40702] Re: Newbie Question: Solving for x?
  • From: "Steven Shippee" <slshippee at attbi.com>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2003 04:01:49 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

As another novice user, I would be inclined to answer your question with the
following suggestion:

Clear[y]
\!\(\*
  RowBox[{"Solve", "[",
    StyleBox[\(y == \[ExponentialE]\^\(\(-x\^2\)\/2\)\/\@\(2  \[Pi]\), \
x\),
      FormatType->StandardForm],
    StyleBox["]",
      FormatType->StandardForm]}]\)

I'm sure there are much more elegant ways to do this, however.  I have also
found David Park's web site useful, and he has a notebook at URL:

http://home.earthlink.net/~djmp/Mathematica.html

called StepByStepEquations.nb which is most illustrative for those getting
used to Mathematica.

Hope this helps.

Thanks in advance,
Steven Shippee