Re: Scientific drawing tools?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg40752] Re: Scientific drawing tools?
  • From: David Eppstein <eppstein at ics.uci.edu>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 01:36:28 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

In article <b7ge6o$dj1$1 at smc.vnet.net>,
 "Dr. Wolfgang Hintze" <weh at snafu.de> wrote:

> Is there a simple way to electronically produce a scientific drawing
> similar to what I can do on paper by hand in order to explain something,
> e.g. a geometrical situation?
> This question goes not only for mathematica but is more general. Most of
> the time I use the limited drawing capabilities of Microsoft Office.
> (Try to draw an arc and call it alpha).
> Or do I do it on paper, scan it and import it?

I think you need to be a little more specific about what kind of drawing
you want.  There are many tools available for doing different types of
drawing.  When I want basic line art -- circles and polygons and text
and stuff -- I use Adobe Illustrator.  When I want precise
two-dimensional geometric constructions such as one would make with
compass and straightedge, I use Cinderella.  When I want accurate
perspective rendering of three-dimensional objects, as line art, I use
Mathematica, and then usually reprocess the results in Illustrator.
When I want three-dimensional objects with realistic lighting and
coloring, I use POVray.

--
David Eppstein                      http://www.ics.uci.edu/~eppstein/