Re: Problem

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg43009] Re: [mg42967] Problem
  • From: "Andrew Thomas" <Andrew.Thomas at oft.gsi.gov.uk>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2003 00:26:24 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Thank you all very much for your help and advice.

best wishes,

Andrew

>>> Janak Wedagedera <janak at maths.warwick.ac.uk> 08/07/03 09:18am >>>
It is not clear whether you want to plot

1. y as a function of x with c as a parameter
or

2. just a plot of the surface defined by c.

Case 1: Solve[y^2 - y + x - x^2 -c ==0,y]

and then use the solution for y to make the plot

Case 2:
        c = (x - x^2) + (y - y^2);

        Plot3D[c, {x, 0, 1}, {y, 0, 1}]

- Janak.

On Thu, 7 Aug 2003, Andrew Thomas wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> This is a simple one but I cannot find out how to plot the
following.

> c=(x-x^2)+(y-y^2) where c is a constant.
>
> The problem is that everytime I go to plot the plot is always
defined
> as y=f(x,...) and so I cannot enter y^2 into the equation.
>
> Could someone please advise.
>
> Thank you and best wishes,
>
> Andrew

> are addressed. If you are not an intended recipient, please notify
> system.administrator at oft.gov.uk immediately.
>
> The Office of Fair Trading
> Fleetbank House, 2-6 Salisbury Square, London EC4Y 8JX
> Switchboard (020) 7211 8000
> Web Site: http://www.oft.gov.uk
>
> This footnote also confirms that this email message has been swept
> for the presence of computer viruses.

------------------------------------
Janak R Wedagedera
Mathematics Institute
University of Warwick
Coventry
CV4 7AL
U.K.

e-mail: janak at maths.warwick.ac.uk
	janak at maths.ruh.ac.lk

phone: 44 02476 523698 (office)

PLEASE NOTE: THE ABOVE MESSAGE WAS RECEIVED FROM THE INTERNET.

On entering the GSI, this email was scanned for viruses by the
Government Secure Intranet (GSI) virus scanning service supplied
exclusively by Cable & Wireless in partnership with MessageLabs.

GSI users see
http://www.gsi.gov.uk/main/notices/information/gsi-003-2002.pdf for
further details. In case of problems, please call your organisational IT
helpdesk.