Re: Justification of graphics in cells

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg43179] Re: Justification of graphics in cells
  • From: Bill Rowe <listuser at earthlink.net>
  • Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2003 02:54:00 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

On 8/15/03 at 4:27 AM, hay at haystack.demon.co.uk (Allan Hayes) wrote:

> I am getting something odd.
> I display the inline graphics as in your code:

> gr = Plot[x, {x, 0, 1}];

> inline = Cell[GraphicsData["PostScript", DisplayString[gr]]];

> CellPrint[
>    Cell[TextData[{inline}], "Text", TextAlignment -> Center,
>      CellMargins -> {{0, 0}, {0, 0}}]
>    ]

> Then I click on the picture without moving the mouse, and it moves to the
> right - the effect. Repeated clicks move it further to the right.
> The first move always gives ImageMargins->{{89, 0}, {0, 0}}.
> The phenomenon is not commpletely consistent. It may be triggered by slight
> movement of the mouse, but I tried holding the mouse still with one hand and
> clicking with the other.

> Eventually Mathematica crashes - I get an announcement that an error has
> occured and it must close down.

> I am using version 5 with Windows XP Professional.

Using version 5 with Mac OS X, I get similar but not identical results. Here, the ImageMargins start at {{103,0},{0,0}} with the first click changing them to {{154,0},{0,0}}. If I quickly click, subsequenct clicks may or may not cause a futher move. If I click an hold momentarily, subseqent clicks cause further moves until the ImageMargins reach {{205,0},{0,0}}. At this point, futher clicks do not cause further motion.

If I drag the image to the left, it restores to the original ImageMargins --- {{103,0},{0,0}} even though I drag the image further left than these coordinates. That is the image jumps to these coordinates when the mouse button is released. I can then click without moving the mouse and watch the image move back to {{205,0},{0,0}}.

I did not experience a crash while doing this. But that may be becuase I didn't have enough patience and do enough clicking. Also, I could be related to the amount of memory installed. I have 1GByte of RAM installed