Re: Can plot take limits? Or something like it ...

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg43197] Re: Can plot take limits? Or something like it ...
  • From: "Allan Hayes" <hay at haystack.demon.co.uk>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2003 02:50:56 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Mathieu,
David Park has pointed out the reason for the difference: the sample points
for Plot do not include x = 0 wherease those for those for Plot3D do.

We can introduce limit explicitely: the following both work

Plot[Limit[Sin[s]/s, s -> x], {x, 0, 1}]
Plot3D[Limit[y*Sin[s]/s, s -> x], {x, 0, 1}, {y, 0, 1}]

Unfortunately, Limit does not work for two variables, so we cannot use this
trick for the general Plot3D situation (and, of course even limits over one
variable cannot always be calculated)

Allan
Allan Hayes
hay at haystack.demon.co.uk