Re: How does MathReader work?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg43345] Re: How does MathReader work?
  • From: "Urijah Kaplan" <uak at sas.upenn.edu>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 07:13:17 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

As MathReader doesn't include the Mathematica kernel, I don't see how it can
possibly do any of the things you want. (Except perhaps locking the
notebook.) As for .nb size issues, I have found that using WinRAR
(http://www.rarlab.com/rar_archiver.htm available for just about all
platforms) at the highest compression settings can compress image and
animation heavy notebooks more than 20:1.

    --Urijah Kaplan

"David Park" <djmp at earthlink.net> wrote in message
news:bicgsd$212$1 at smc.vnet.net...
> Dear MathGroup and WRI,
>
> I am interesting in knowing more precisely what can be done with
MathReader.
> I suspect that it doesn't do what I really want but the documentation is a
> bit vague.
>
> This is what I would like MathReader to do:
>
> 1) The MathReader user should be able to open a Mathematica notebook with
> all output and graphics deleted and then evaluate the notebook and
generate
> the graphics and animation.
>
> 2) The MathReader user should be able to install third party packages and
> applications, which could be utilized by the notebooks he reads.
>
> 3) But the MathReader user could not edit or change any notebook. He could
> not type in his own statements. He would be strictly limited to evaluating
> notebooks created by full Mathematica owners.
>
> If MathReader cannot evaluate a notebook, then all the graphics, animation
> and traditional form output must be embedded and this means that for all
> practical purposes the notebooks are too large for routine transmission.
In