Re: Formatted output

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg39258] Re: [mg39244] Formatted output
  • From: Tomas Garza <tgarza01 at prodigy.net.mx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Feb 2003 03:08:03 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Actually, you may format your output to any extent of embellishment
desired. Suppose, e.g., you have the following table as the result of
your calculations:

In[1]:=
result = Table[Random[Real, {0, 10000}], {10}, {7}];

The display (omitted here) shows a variety of numbers, with one, two,
three or four integers, and ditto for decimals. You might simply take

In[2]:=
TableForm[result]

and obtain a table with constant-width columns and numbers
right-aligned. However, this is not too nice, since numbers with one
integer take the same space as numbers with four integers. So you might
want to go much further and format your numbers so that, for example,
only two decimals are shown, and integral parts are separated with
commas in groups of three, say. To start with, then, define a function,
say imp, which will preserve only two decimals and perform the grouping,
separating with commas in groups of three:

In[3]:=

imp[x_] := NumberForm[x, {12, 2}, NumberPadding -> {"", "0"},
DigitBlock -> 3,
    ExponentFunction -> (Null & )];

and apply it to your result

In[4]:=
c = Map[imp, result, {2}]

Then the following will produce a very nice table

In[5]:=
DisplayForm[StyleBox[GridBox[c, GridFrame -> 2, RowLines -> True,
ColumnLines -> True,
     ColumnAlignments -> {Right}]]]

You may change the font, add column headings or row titles, or whatever
other features you wish.

Of course, you may have to spend a few hours understanding what is going
on (as I had to do at one time or another), but I think it will be worth
your effort.

Tomas Garza
Mexico City