Re: Does Mathematica run on Mandrake Linux?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg39408] Re: [mg39367] Does Mathematica run on Mandrake Linux?
  • From: "Marko Vojinovic" <vojinovi at panet.co.yu>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 03:19:18 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

If you purchase Mathematica for Linux / Unix systems, it should run on *any*
distribution (if properly installed) including Mandrake, RedHat, SuSE,
Slackware, Debian,
LFS, ...

On the other hand, if you ask whether Mathematica for Windows works on a
Linux system, the answer is I don't know. There is a "WINE" project
under Linux ("WINE" is a shorthand for "WINdows Emulator") and it is (as I
hear) very stable and fast. However, I have never tried to run Mathematica
under
the emulator, so I have no experience. You may try if you
like, there should be WINE installed in Mandrake 9.0.

Best regards,
Marko