Re: 4 Straight segments !!

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg38856] Re: 4 Straight segments !!
  • From: "Allan Hayes" <hay at haystack.demon.co.uk>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2003 03:19:46 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Payton,
The following works for the example used:

    Plot[x^2,{x,-2,2},PlotPoints->3,PlotDivision->1]

But you will see that the plot is not symmetrical (this is probably due to
small adjustments in the initial sample points to lessen the chances of
aliasing).
If you want to have complete control then you might try using Table and
ListPlot:

    SegmentPlot[f_, {x_,xmin_, xmax_, n_}, opts___?OptionQ]:=
      ListPlot[Table[{x,f},{x,xmin, xmax, (xmax-xmin)/n}], opts]

    SegmentPlot[x^2,{x, -2,2, 4}, PlotJoined->True]

 Or you could construct your own graphics.

news:b00rcr$pm0$1 at smc.vnet.net...