Use of units and simplification

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg38896] Use of units and simplification
  • From: "Yves K." <yk at despammed.com>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2003 05:39:39 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hallo,

I would like to use the units of Miscellaneous Units (Mathematica 4.2
Windows).

1) Why does Simplify[Sqrt[x*Meter^2]] give
Sqrt[Meter^2*x] ? The result of the simplification is o.k. when I assume
that Meter>=0:
Simplify[Sqrt[x*Meter^2], Meter >= 0] ->Meter*Sqrt[x]

Of course I could always assume that any unit used is >=0, but that does
not seem to be the right way.
Am I missing something? Is there a way to get the units "properly"
simplified?

2) There is Meter and Centimeter predefined. Where have the Millimeters
gone? I did not succeed in prepending any of the SI unit prefixes. Could
  I simply use MilliMeter? Did not really work for me...

Thanks, and sorry if the questions are silly (which they most probably are).

Yves