Re: FileNameDialog

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg38890] Re: FileNameDialog
  • From: moseley at stars.gsfc.nasa.gov (Harvey M.)
  • Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2003 05:39:15 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

"P.J. Hinton" <paulh at wolfram.com> wrote in message news:<avrjsb$995$1 at smc.vnet.net>...
> On Fri, 10 Jan 2003, Rainer Bausch wrote:
>
> > In a contribution to mathgroup, somebody asserted in 1997 that
> >
> > userFile=FrontEndExecute[{FrontEndToken["FileNameDialog"]}]
> >
> > allows the user to input a file name from the Windows file selector box
> > into a Mathematica variable.  (Search in the Archive for the keyword
> > FileNameDialog; to find this contribution.)  However, this does not work
> > in Mathematica 4.1 (under Windows NT). I guess that it did not work in
> > 3.0 either.
> >
> > It is true that the file selector box appears, and that the name and path
> > of the selected file is pasted into the notebook, but the user filename
> > entry is not transferred into the variable.
>
> If the goal is to store the result of the file browse operation as a
> kernel string, then the code you need to use is:
>
> userFile = Experimental`FileBrowse[]
>
> The code you cite is the programmatic equivalent of the front end menu
> command Input -> Get File Path...

I am using Mathematica 4.2 on Mac OS X (Ver 10.2.3).  I have tried the

 userFile = Experimental`FileBrowse[]

as P. Hinton recommends, and I get a "file save" dialog;  all the file
names are greyed out, and the dialog is asking me for a file name to
save.  I can't figure out how to get it to return the file name.

Thanks, Harvey