Solutions for functions containing jump discontinuities

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg38960] Solutions for functions containing jump discontinuities
  • From: newspostings at burkert.de (Burkert, Philipp)
  • Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 06:14:27 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi folks,

we are searching all solutions where the function f results null.

f[x_] := -7500 * Ceiling[(0.5 * x) / 880] + (5 * x)
Solve[{f[x] == 0}, x]

As f contains jump discontinuities, we recieved the following error:

InverseFunction::"ifun": "Inverse functions are being used. Values may be \
lost for multivalued inverses."

Solve::"tdep": "The equations appear to involve the variables to be solved \
for in an essentially non-algebraic way."

We would be pleased if anybody could help us.

Regards,
Philipp Burkert
Carsten Siegmund