Re: Shortcut to select cell?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg38970] Re: [mg38945] Shortcut to select cell?
  • From: John Fultz <jfultz at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2003 08:03:27 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

> All:
>
> I'm striving to stay away from the mouse, using keyboard shortcuts
> instead, so that I can move more quickly.
>
> Here's one that's irritating me (on windows):
>
> You are in the midst of editing in a cell.  You decide you want to
> change the style of the cell (e.g. from text to small text).  There are
> the Alt- shortcuts, but those only seem to work when the cell itself is
> selected.  And so, the question: What keystrokes will select a cell
> itself, from someplace within the cell?
>
> Thank you.

Control-period expands the current selection.  If you have the entire
contents of a cell selected, the selection is expanded to be the cell
bracket.  So, typically, you would have to press Control-period two
to four times (but if your selection is in a deeply nested expression,
perhaps more) to select the cell bracket.

A related mouse trick (I know you didn't ask, but since I'm on the
soapbox, I thought I'd mention it) can duplicate this keystroke with
the mouse.  If you double-click on some text, that's the same as
having the selection there and pressing Control-period once.  Triple-
clicking is like pressing control-period twice.  And so on (except that
you cannot select the cell bracket using the mouse via this means).

This is particularly useful in input/output cells where the selection
can be expanded by knowledge of the expression structure.  This means
that you can, for example, easily select a whole string, or the entire
contents of a set of square brackets by either triple-clicking inside
the string/square brackets or by using Control-period twice when inside
the string/square brackets.

Sincerely,

John Fultz
jfultz at wolfram.com