Re: Re: Integrating Abs[Sin[]^2]

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg39072] Re: [mg39052] Re: Integrating Abs[Sin[]^2]
  • From: Andrzej Kozlowski <akoz at mimuw.edu.pl>
  • Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2003 18:44:12 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

The Assumptions meachanism in Integrate predates the use of domains in
Mathematica and has never been updated to work with it. Thus there is
completely no  point in trying to use functions like Element together
with Assumptions in Integrate since they will be ignored. Assumptions
in Integrate is a very limited mechanism that deals basically with
convergence. ELement belongs to a much newer algebraic mechanism used
in functions like Simplify and FunctionalExpand. I beleive there is a
plan to update Assumptions some day to make use of the newer technology
(which appeared only in version 4), but this has not been done yet.

As for the strange bug that the letters one uses as names of variables
sometimes affect the output of Integrate; it been menioned to on this
list a few  times. But it only affects Integrate and not, for  example,
GroebnerBasis, or Solve, or countless other functions,  so it seems to
me a bit of an exaggeration to claim that :
" One cannot really trust any output from Mathematica 4.2." Unless, of
course, you mean that one can't trust any output form any symbolic
algebra program or indeed any other computer program, which of course
is in a sense true, but hardly news.

Andrzej Kozlowski
Yokohama, Japan
http://www.mimuw.edu.pl/~akoz/