Re: Big problem in solving radicals.

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg41786] Re: Big problem in solving radicals.
  • From: davide at astromeccanica.it (Davide Del Vento)
  • Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2003 07:31:29 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi.

> {{x -> a^2}}
>
> *is* the general solution, nobody say that x (or a)
> must be real.

If a>0 this is not a solution of my equation, that is:
+ sqrt(x) + a == 0

And *NOT*

- sqrt(x) + a == 0

> There is no way to ask Mathematica for only a real
> solution in symbolic expressions.
I don't want this, I would like to have something like this:

x=a^2 if a<0
NONE if a>0

In the case of this example things are pretty simple, but if you want
I can give you a case in which this limitation is *very* big.

Bye,
;Davide Del Vento

CNR Istituto Fisica Spazio Interplanetario
via del Fosso del Cavaliere, 100 / IT-00133 / Rome
Phone:  +390649934357
Fax:    +390649934383
Mobile: +393288329015
E-Mail: davide @ astromeccanica.it