Re: Re: Big problem in solving radicals.

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg41789] Re: [mg41761] Re: Big problem in solving radicals.
  • From: Selwyn Hollis <selwynh at earthlink.net>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2003 07:31:31 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Perhaps confusion arises from the term "general solution." A better
term is "formal solution." When Solve[x^(1/2) + a == 0, x] gives {{x ->
a^2}}, it's saying that *if* there's a solution, this is it. It's not
saying that the solution is valid for all possible a.

-----
Selwyn Hollis
http://www.math.armstrong.edu/faculty/hollis