Re: Big problem in solving radicals.

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg41794] Re: Big problem in solving radicals.
  • From: Paul Abbott <paul at physics.uwa.edu.au>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2003 07:31:36 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

In article <bbkq1p$hi5$1 at smc.vnet.net>,
 Jens-Peer Kuska <kuska at informatik.uni-leipzig.de> wrote:

> {{x -> a^2}}
>
> *is* the general solution, nobody say that x (or a)
> must be real.
>
> There is no way to ask Mathematica for only a real
> solution in symbolic expressions.

What about

 Experimental`CylindricalAlgebraicDecomposition[x^(1/2) + a == 0, {a,x}]

 a <= 0 && x == a^2

Cheers,
Paul

--
Paul Abbott                                   Phone: +61 8 9380 2734
School of Physics, M013                         Fax: +61 8 9380 1014
Crawley WA 6009                      mailto:paul at physics.uwa.edu.au
AUSTRALIA                            http://physics.uwa.edu.au/~paul