Re: "Sloppy Union"? (Union of a list with *nearly* equ

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg41979] Re: "Sloppy Union"? (Union of a list with *nearly* equ
  • From: "Will Self" <wself at msubillings.edu>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2003 03:56:26 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

"AES/newspost" <siegman at stanford.edu> wrote in message
news:bc7pgs$6f8$1 at smc.vnet.net...
> Is there a built-in Mathematica function to "round" or "chop" the
> numerical value of a number (Integer, Real, or Complex) to its first  n
> significant digits (padding with zeros if needed)?

I don't think there is (I'm often wrong about this sort of thing), but this
will do it:

sigFig[x_, n_] := Module[{m = n - 1 - Floor[Log[10, x]]},
    Round[x*10^m]*10.^-m]

sigFig[432.1567, 4]

sigFig[.04321567, 4]

sigFig[234111111, 3]

There is something called ScientificForm that displays the result in
scientific form with the specified number of significant digits, but this is
just a display thing, and does not change the number.  But you could use it
in combination with sigFig for display purposes:

ScientificForm[sigFig[432.1567, 4], 4]