weird problem with PlotLabel on a Sony Vaio

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg41980] weird problem with PlotLabel on a Sony Vaio
  • From: Fabio Di Teodoro <fditeodo at ccs.nrl.navy.mil>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2003 03:56:28 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I am running Mathematica 4.0 on a 512-MB-ram, 2.4-GHz Sony Vaio laptop
(model PCG-GRZ530) running Windows XP. Everything looks fine, except
that any attempt at executing the instruction PlotLabel (or FrameLabel)
within the Plot instruction makes the program become "not-responding"
and basically crushes the computer. I have found that other instructions
that result in text written on a graph produce the same outcome.

Needless to say, I have no idea whatsoever about what the problem might
be: the copy of Mathematica I have is not corrupted because it runs just
fine on a PC running Windows 2000 and also another one with Windows XP
on. I suspect that there is something related to particular graphics
settings for displaying of text on graphs (but not the graph rendition
itself, which is fine) that conflicts with something on my laptop.
Does anybody have a clue about what might be going on?

Thanks!

-F.