Re: InverseFunction[]

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg42006] Re: InverseFunction[]
  • From: Paul Abbott <paul at physics.uwa.edu.au>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2003 03:57:34 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

In article <bc7pet$6f0$1 at smc.vnet.net>,
 Murray Eisenberg <murray at math.umass.edu> wrote:

> What does "knows about" mean in your answer?  Evidently Mathematica
> knows a NAME (ProductLog) for the inverse function and can evaluate it
> numerically.

And it knows (some) algebraic properties of ProductLog. For example, it
knows how to differentiate and integrate it.

> But what is the definition of the function as Mathematica knows it?

I do not understand your question. What is the definition of _any_
function in Mathematica? E.g., can you tell me what is the definition of
Sin (in Mathematica)? Further, InverseFunction[Sin] yields ArcSin and
Mathematica "knows about" ArcSin in the sense that it can evaluate it
numerically _and_ algebraically.

> Reply to "REPLY TO" address and NOT to the "FROM" address!!
> Otherwise I will never see your reply!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't understand this: According to the message headers I get, your
"REPLY TO" and "FROM" addresses are identical?

Cheers,
Paul

--
Paul Abbott                                   Phone: +61 8 9380 2734
School of Physics, M013                         Fax: +61 8 9380 1014
Crawley WA 6009                      mailto:paul at physics.uwa.edu.au
AUSTRALIA                            http://physics.uwa.edu.au/~paul