Re: InverseFunction[]

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg42010] Re: InverseFunction[]
  • From: Murray Eisenberg <murray at math.umass.edu>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2003 03:57:51 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Well, to take the example of the function you pose for comparison, Sin:
  The section "Some Notes on Internal Implementation" in the Mathematica
Book's "Mathematica Reference Guide", says:

    Exponential and trigonometric functions use Taylor series,
    stable recursion by argument doubling, and functional relations.

But I'm guilty of not scrolling down far enough on that same page to
have discovered:

   PolyLog uses Euler-Maclaurin summation, expansions in terms
   of incomplete gamma functions and numerical quadrature.

That's the sort of thing I was looking for and somehow had previously
overlooked!

Murray Eisenberg                     murray at math.umass.edu