Re: How to convert string to variable name

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg39892] Re: How to convert string to variable name
  • From: atelesforos at hotmail.com (Orestis Vantzos)
  • Date: Sun, 9 Mar 2003 18:40:14 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Bob, if you want to get to that kind of programming (scripting
Mathematica inside Mathematica) it pays to understand the way things
are evaluated in Mathematica.
Symbol["x"] IS indeed the 'natural' way to create a symbol named x.
To answer your question on why Symbol["x"]=13 does not work, try
ToExpression["x"]=13.
..it doesn't work either.
The answer is that Set(=) has the Attribute HoldFirst which keeps the
left-hand side of the assignment from being created.
A direct solution is Evaluate[Symbol["x"]]=13 or
Evaluate[ToExpression["x"]]=13.

Now, you seem to believe that ToExpression["x=13"] is the way to do
it.
I do not agree:
the string inside ToExpression does not interact properly with scoping
constructs like Module,With and asignments.
Try:
With[{a=13},ToExpression["x=a"]]
or
assigntox[n_]:=ToExpression["x=n"]
The scoping constructs just can't see the symbols inside the string!

I think the best way to go is something like:
With[{var=Symbol["x"]},
...stuff with var...
]

Orestis