Re: A FullSimplify Problem

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg41087] Re: [mg41050] A FullSimplify Problem
  • From: Andrzej Kozlowski <akoz at mimuw.edu.pl>
  • Date: Thu, 1 May 2003 05:00:49 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

This seems unlikely since Mathematica 4.2 returns

FullSimplify[Integrate[Log[1-2a Cos[x]+a^2],{x,0,Pi}],{a>1}]

4 ¥ð Log[a]

which is double the right answer. With the assumption a<-1 the answer
is even worse (if returning a complex number when a real one is
expected is "worse" than returning twice the right answer):

FullSimplify[Integrate[Log[1 - 2*a*Cos[x] + a^2],
    {x, 0, Pi}], {a < -1}]

Out[7]=
Pi*(2*I*Pi + Log[1/a^2])

Of course this does not prove that the unsimplified answer returned by
Mathematica is wrong, in fact numerical tests suggest that it is
probably right and the problem may be with FullSimplify. But I would
not count on it.

Andrzej Kozlowski
Yokohama, Japan
http://www.mimuw.edu.pl/~akoz/