Re: Re: A FullSimplify Problem

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg41105] Re: [mg41087] Re: [mg41050] A FullSimplify Problem
  • From: Andrzej Kozlowski <akoz at mimuw.edu.pl>
  • Date: Sat, 3 May 2003 03:27:27 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I feel compelled to apologize to the programer(s) of FullSimplify (and
Simplify ) for even entertaining the possibility that it might have
been the culprit. In fact these examples show clearly that FullSimplify
would have produced the wanted answer had Integrate not made its
typical wrong choice of branch error. The reason why I briefly thought
Simplify might have been the culprit was that I tried substituting one
randomly chosen value for a and the answer came up right. Of course
this can easily happen in this sort of  situation, and I should have
really known better than to doubt the generally very reliable Simplify.

Andrzej Kozlowski
Yokohama, Japan
http://www.mimuw.edu.pl/~akoz/
http://platon.c.u-tokyo.ac.jp/andrzej/