Re: How change $AddOnsDirectory

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg41169] Re: [mg41128] How change $AddOnsDirectory
  • From: John Fultz <jfultz at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Tue, 6 May 2003 06:01:40 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

As of version 4.2, AddOns are no longer in versioned directories.  I.e.,
$AddOnsDirectory won't change from 4.2 to 5.0 to future versions.  It's
not clear to me from your email why you're trying to set up separate
directories (the desirability of sharing the AddOns directory between
versions is part of what motivated the design for $AddOnsDirectory in the
first place).

As to the decision to add "Mathematica" afterwards, this has to do with
the fact that we build non-Mathematica products which are based upon the
Mathematica binaries.  These products would append their own identity
instead (for example, Calculation Center would append "\CalculationCenter"
afterwards).  So one environment variable setting can affect the base
directory chosen for $AddOnsDirectory by all Wolfram products.

Sincerely,

John Fultz
jfultz at wolfram.com
User Interface Group
Wolfram Research, Inc.

On Mon, 05 May 2003 09:04:07 -0400, Murray Eisenberg wrote:
>Thank you -- but OUCH!
>
>I do not want to have "Mathematica" automatically appended to the path I
>specify!  My directory structure has, under D:\Math, several separate
>directories for different versions of Mathematica
>(D:\Math\Mathematica4.0, D:\Math\Mathematica4.2, etc.)
>
>In order to use all my AddOns (except Standard AddOns), especially
>Applications, with all versions of Mathematica -- without having to
>maintain multiple copies of these AddOns -- I want a separate directory
>D:\Math\AddOnsMma for them (and then have subdirectories Applications,
>etc., of that.
>
>With the effect you describe of setting, say
>MATHEMATICA_ADDONS=D:\Math\AddOnsMma, then this would force everthing
>there to be buried one directory deeper than I want -- into
>D:\Math\AddOnsMma\Mathematica.
>
>On the other hand, if I set, say MATHEMATICA_ADDONS=D:\Math, then that
>would be obviously (?) undesirable: the directory would be
>D:\Math\Mathematica, which is obviously too much like the names of the
>top directories I'm using for the different versions of Mathematica
>itself.
>
>Why in the world was the design decision made to automatically append
>"Mathematica" to what those environment variables specified?  Is there
>some decent way around this?
>
>John Fultz wrote:
>>You can set the default value of the parent of $AddOnsDirectory and
>>$UserAddOnsDirectory via an environment variable, which works for both
>>FE
>>and kernel.
>>
>>MATHEMATICA_ADDONS for $AddOnsDirectory
>>MATHEMATICA_USERADDONS for $UserAddOnsDirectory
>>
>>Mathematica will append '\Mathematica' to whatever you set, so if, for
>>example, you do:
>>
>>MATHEMATICA_ADDONS=D:\Math\AddOnsMma
>>
>>then the value of $AddOnsDirectory will be...
>>
>>"D:\\Math\\AddOnsMMa\\Mathematica"
>>
>>$AddOnsDirectory and $UserAddOnsDirectory in the kernel are intended to
>>be
>>equivalent to something like $TopDirectory, which is to say that they're
>>
>>constants derived from the system.
>>
>>Incidentally, the above is true for all operating systems; it is not
>>Windows-specific.
>>
>>Sincerely,
>>
>>John Fultz
>>jfultz at wolfram.com
>>User Interface Group
>>Wolfram Research, Inc.
>>

>>On Sun, 4 May 2003 03:57:04 -0400 (EDT), Murray Eisenberg wrote:
>>
>>>How do I supply a permanent new location for $AddOnsDirectory.  This is
>>>under Windows XP.
>>>
>>>The HelpBrower documentation under "File Layout" seems to say that if I
>>>set a value for $AddOnsDirectory in an init.m file located somewhere on
>>>the ConfigurationPath, that value should be used.
>>>
>>>So in [top directory]\Configuration\FrontEnd -- where [top directory]
is
>>>the directory containing Mathematica.exe -- I created a file init.m.
 In