Re: matrix construction

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg41343] Re: [mg41306] matrix construction
  • From: Bobby Treat <drmajorbob+MathGroup3528 at mailblocks.com>
  • Date: Thu, 15 May 2003 04:04:54 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

<< DiscreteMath`Combinatorica`
n = 5;
s[i_] := Range@n

k = 3;
Transpose@Table[s[i][[RandomPermutation[n]]], {k}]

Bobby

-----Original Message-----
From: S White <susanlcw at aol.com>
To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
Subject: [mg41343] [mg41306] matrix construction

  Hi all,

  I am trying to construct an n x k matrix in the following way:

  I have k distinct sets, call them S1, S2, ... , Sk, each with n
elements.  I would like for column 1 to consist of elements which are
a random permutation of the elements of S1, column 2 a permutation of
S2, ..., column k a permutation of elements of Sk.

  I would be very grateful for any ideas.

  Thank you,
  Susan
   susanlcw at aol.com