Re: Readability confuses mathematica?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg44522] Re: Readability confuses mathematica?
  • From: "Steve Luttrell" <luttrell at _removemefirst_westmal.demon.co.uk>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 02:27:20 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

You need to use Symbolize in the Utilities`Notation` package.

First of all reproduce your problem:

In[2]:=
D[x - x\[UnderBracket]Subscript\[UnderBracket]0, x]
Out[2]=
1 - Derivative[1, 0][Subscript][x, 0]

Now read in the Utilities`Notation` package:

In[3]:=
<< "Utilities`Notation`"

Use Symbolize to make sure x\[UnderBracket]Subscript\[UnderBracket]0 is
treated as an independent symbol in its own right. You have to enter
Symbolize from the Notation palette to ensure that the appropriate bits and
pieces (i.e. the tag box) get entered correctly.

In[4]:=
Symbolize[NotationBoxTag[\(x\_0\)]]

Now evaluate your derivative again:
In[5]:=
D[x - x\[UnderBracket]Subscript\[UnderBracket]0, x]
Out[5]=
1

This is the answer you wanted.

--