Re: NotebookML & css

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg44163] Re: NotebookML & css
  • From: "Steven T. Hatton" <hattons at globalsymmetry.com>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 04:24:59 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Steven T. Hatton wrote:

> I'm not sure what to expect with the NotebookML & css functionality of
> Mathematica 5.0.  After some experimentation I found the style sheets in
> the Mathematica directory seem to all be written to apply styles using
> class selectors.  I don't understand what the reasoning is here.  I simply
> wish to export a Mathematica notebook as NotebookML, have it available on
> the net for viewing through web browsers, or downloading to be used as
> notebooks.  I started modifying copies of the css from the Mathematica
> install and saw the styles were being applied to the NotebookML files when
> I removed the '.' before each style definition.
>
> The doesn't seem like what wri intended.  Can someone advise me as to what
> *is* intended?

Ahmmm, cough, cough... :-)

 Has anybody worked with the XML features?  They are actually extremely
powerful.  They are also every bit as arcane as the rest of Mathematica.
This is likely a reflection on the user, not the program.

I've been using Mathematica to spit out XHTML to view LiveGraphics3D
applets. http://mathworld.wolfram.com/live.html  I've done a fair bit of
XML/HTML authoring/programming, and it's clear to me that Mathematica can
do some things that other languages would not support as nicely.  For
example, producing tabular output for complex data sets should be very easy
for a person who has mastered the List manipulation functionality of
Mathematica.

MathML also has a great deal of potential.

I can produce my own css if push comes to shove, but it seems like a waste
of time if the work has already been done.
--
"Philosophy is written in this grand book, The Universe. ... But the book
cannot be understood unless one first learns to comprehend the language...