v. 5.0 rife with errors?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg43462] v. 5.0 rife with errors?
  • From: james.h.gilland at grc.nasa.gov (Jim)
  • Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 07:59:46 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I took a notebook that worked fine in v4.2, and it won't work in v5.0.
 Main culprits are:
1.)  results that in v4.2 came out as numbers now appear in 5.0 as
Overflow[].  Just before the Overflow error, the numbers that  are
given for other parameters are extremely small, but v5.0 seems to
refuse to just call it zero.   I've played with Precision, but to no
avail.
2.)  NDSolve won't recognize the given equations as equations anymore
- something to do with substituting numerical values in for the
symbols.

I've tried using the "fix"
(Developer`SetSystemOptions["EvaluateNumericalFunctionArgument" ->
False])
given under the FAQ's for numerical operations in v5.0, but it doesn't
change anything. Even if it worked, basically all this command does is
tell 5.0 to work like 4.2 did.

So far this "update" doesn't work for me.