Re: Nonlinear Fitting in Mathematica 4

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg43513] Re: Nonlinear Fitting in Mathematica 4
  • From: Bill Rowe <listuser at earthlink.net>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 05:40:11 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

On 9/17/03 at 7:58 AM, biplab at iitk.ac.in (Biplab Dey) wrote:

> I have been trying to implement NonlinearFit using Mathematica 4, but
> apparantly Mathematica is not executing it.
> I've tried both Need["Statistics`NonlinearFit`"] as well as <<
> "Statistics`NonlinearFit`" to load the package, but none of them works.

It isn't clear what you mean here. Do you mean the package isn't loading? Or do you mean the package is loading but the function NonlinearFit isn't finding a solution?

The routines in the package Statistics`NonlinearFit` are the appropriate routines for non-linear regression problems in version 4 and they do work. But non-linear regression is inherently a difficult problem. There are a variety of issues that could cause the routines to fail. For me to make useful suggestions, you need to supply details of the problem and error messages you are getting.