fit cylinders to point clouds

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg43525] fit cylinders to point clouds
  • From: Stefan Fleck <Stefan.Fleck at agr.kuleuven.ac.be>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2003 03:41:48 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Dear,

I am trying to fit cylinders to 3D point clouds, that are range images and
so show the tube structure only from one side. The projected points in 2D
give typically half-circles, if the right projection is found.

Is there a good way in Mathematica to solve this problem? I heard that there
must exist a package for this, so if anybody knows something for Mathematica,
I would be very grateful for a hint.

Thanks in advance,

Stefan Fleck