Re: Convert all graphics to reduce file size?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg43560] Re: Convert all graphics to reduce file size?
  • From: Jim Jennings <no at spam.invalid>
  • Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2003 06:39:29 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

In article <bkee2a$m7i$1 at smc.vnet.net>, Jens-Peer Kuska
<kuska at informatik.uni-leipzig.de> wrote:

> and you are sure, that a 400 x 400 RGB bitmap is smaller than
> the PostScript code for
>
> Graphics[Line[{{0,0},{1,1}}]]
>
> ??

Of course not.  In general the relative sizes depend on what is drawn,
the size of the bitmap, and perhaps some other things I am forgetting.

In my case there are 74 graphics cells.  Most of them are generated by
ListPlot3D operating on 128 x 128 arrays, so there are a large number
of polygons.  If I keep all the PostScript, the notebook file size is
87MB.  Nearly all of it is in the graphics cells.  If I convert the
graphics cells to bitmaps, most of them 504 x 358, the file size is
reduced to 22MB.  Most of it is still in the graphic cells, but the
file size is much smaller and the time required to save the file is
much less.

A few days ago I was working with 512 x 512 arrays and the situation
was much worse.  I didn't take careful notes, but I suppose there were
4 times as many polygons and 4 times as much PostScript.  The file
sizes were several 100 MB.  However, the size of a 504 x 358 bitmap is
the same no matter how many polygons are plotted, and I suspect the
reduced file size would still be 22MB.

The main probem with the large files was not storage but how long it
took to save.  First Mathematica does "Checking" (I don't know what it
is checking), then it does "Saving," and it seemed to take forever.  I
haven't record timings, but regenerating the polygons seems faster than
saving them...

--
Jim Jennings, Bureau of Economic Geology, The University of Texas at Austin
reply to jim dot jennings at beg dot utexas dot edu